1. Anderson JR & Schooler LJ (1991) Reflections of the environment in memory. Psychological Science 2(6):396-408.
2. Raaijmakers JGW (Shiffrin, R. M.) Search of associative memory. Psychological Review 88:93-134.
3. Szpunar KK & McDermott KB (2008) Episodic future though and its relation to remembering: Evidence from ratings of subjective experience. Consciousness and Cognition 17(1):330-334.
4. Karpicke JD, Lehman M, & Aue WR (2014) Retrieval-based learning: An episodic context account. Psychology of Learning and Motivation, ed Ross BH (Elsevier Academic Press, San Diego, CA), Vol 61.
5. Whitten WB & Bjork RA (1977) Learning from tests: The effects of spacing. Journal of Verbal Learning and Verbal Behavior 16(465-478).
6. Roediger HL, McDermott KB, & McDaniel MA (2011) Using testing to improve learning and memory. Psychology and the real world: Essays illustrating fundamental contributions to society, ed M. A. Gernsbacher RP, L. Hough, & J. R. Pomerantz (Worth Publishing Co, New York), pp 65-74.
7. Tulving E (1974) Cue-dependent forgetting. American Scientist 62(1):74-82.
8. Karpicke JD & Bauernschmidt A (2011) Spaced retrieval: Absolute spacing enhances learning regardless of relative spacing. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, Cognition 37(5):1250-1257.
9. Benjamin AS & Tullis J (2010) What makes distributed practice effective? Cognitive Psychology 61:228-247.
10. Karpicke JD, Blunt JR, & Smith MA (2016) Retrieval-based learning: Positive effects of retrieval practice in elementary school children. Frontiers in Psychology 7.
12. Agarwal PK, Bain PM, & Chamberlain RW (2012) The Value of Applied Research: Retrieval practice improves classroom learning and recommendations from a teacher, a principal, and a scientist. Educational Psychology Review 24:437-448.
14. Greene RL (2008) Repetition and spacing effects. Learning and memory: A comprehensive reference, ed Roediger HL (Elsevier, Oxford, England), pp 65-78.
15. Karpicke JD & Roediger HL (2007) Repeated retrieval during learning is the key to long-term retention. Journal of Memory and Language 57:151-162.
16. Rohrer D (2012) Interleaving helps students distinguish among similar concepts. Educational Psychology Review 24:355-367.
17. Kang SH & Pashler H (2012) Learning painting styles: Spacing is advantageous when it promotes discriminative contrast. Applied Cognitive Psychology 26(1):97-103.
18. Taylor K & Rohrer D (2016) The effects of interleaved practice. Applied Cognitive Psychology 24:837-848.
19. Amlund JT, Kardash CAM, & Kulhavy RM (1986) Repetitive reading and recall of expository text. Reading Research Quarterly 21:49-58.
20. Izawa C (1966) Reinforcement-test sequences in paired-associate learning. Psychological Reports 18:879-919.
21. Arnold KM & McDermott KB (2010) Test-potentiated learning: Distinguishing between direct and indirect effects of tests. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, Cognition 39(3):90-95.
22. Zaromb FL & Roediger HL (2010) The testing effect in free recall is associated with enhanced organizational processes. Memory & Cognition 38(8):955-1008.
23. Karpicke JD & Grimaldi PJ (2012) Retrieval-based learning: A perspective for enhancing meaningful learning. Educational Psychology Review 24(3):401-418.
24. Jacoby LL, Wahlheim CN, & Coane JH (2010) Test-enhanced learning of natural concepts: Effects of recognition memory, classification, and metacognition. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, Cognition 36:1441-1451.
25. Butler AC (2010) Repeated testing produces superior transfer of learning relative to repeated studying. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, Cognition 36:1118-1133.
26. McDaniel MA, Thomas RC, Agarwal PK, McDermott KB, & Roediger HL (2013) Quizzing in middle-school science: Successful transfer performance on classroom exams. Applied Cognitive Psychology 27:360-372.
27. Leeming JK (2002) The exam-a-day procedure improves performance in Psychology Classes. Teaching of Psychology 29(3):210-212.
28. Trumbo MC, Leiting KA, McDaniel MA, & Hodge GK (2016) Effects of reinforcement on test-enhanced learning in a large, diverse introductory college psychology course. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied 22(2):148-160.
29. Black P & Wilam D (1998) Assessment and classroom learning. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Best Practice 5:7-74.
30. Fritz CO, Morris PE, Nolan D, & Singleton J (2007) Expanding retrieval practice: an effective aid to preschool children’s learning. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology (60):991-1004.
31. Goossens NAM, Camp G, Verkoeijen PPJL, & Tabbers HK (2014) The effect of retrieval practice in primary school vocabulary learning. Applied Cognitive Psychology 28(135-142).
32. Goossens NAM, Camp G, Verkoeijen PPJL, Tabbers HK, & Zwann RA (2014) The benefit of retrieval practice over elaborative restudy in primary school vocabulary learning. Journal of Applied Research: Memory & Cognition 3:177-182.
33. Dodeen HM, Abdelfattah F, & Alshumrani S (2014) Test-taking skills of secondary students: the relationship with motivation, attitudes, anxiety and attitudes towards tests. South African Journal of Education 34(2):1-18.
34. Ergene T (2003) Effective interventions on test anxiety reduction. School Psychology International 24(3):313-328.
35. Benjamin AS & McDermott KB (2015) The value of standardized testing: A perspective from cognitive psychology. Policy Insights from the Behavioral and Brain Sciences 2:13-23.
36. Agarwal PK, D’Antonio L, Roediger HL, III, McDermott KB, & McDaniel MA (2014) Classroom-based programs of retrieval practice reduce middle school and high school students’ test anxiety. Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition 3:131-139.
37. Roediger HL, Putnam AL, & Smith MA (2011) Ten benefits of testing and their applications to educational practice. Psychology of learning and motivation: Cognition in education, ed Ross JMB (Elsevier, Oxford, England), pp 1-36.
38. Khanna MM (2015) Ungraded pop-quizzes: Test-enhanced learning without all the anxiety. Teaching of Psychology 42(2):174-178.
39. Numan A & Hasan SS (2017) Effect of study habits on test anxiety and academic achievement of undergraduate students. Journal of Research and Reflections in Education 11(1):1-14.
40. Lyle KB & Crawford NA (2011) Retrieving essential material at the end of lectures improves performance on statistics exams. Teaching of Psychology 38:94-97.
41. Smith, M. A., Roediger, H. L., III, & Karpicke, J. D. (2013). Covert retrieval practice benefits retention as much as overt retrieval practice. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory and Cognition, 39, 1712–1725.
42. Smith, M. A., & Karpicke, J. D. (2014). Retrieval practice with short-answer, multiple-choice, and hybrid tests. Memory, 22, 784-802.